Love is arguably the most powerful force in the world. It has the power to motivate humans into doing just about anything. It has been immortalised in art, literature, and song for as long as known recorded history. It is from love that protective instincts arise towards offspring of any species. It is perhaps the most important of all human emotions, and vital for our survival.
I have known love many times in my life. The deep, rose-tinted, falling in love where worlds of beauty and promise are made. The unconditional, ever-lasting love between family, best friends and soulmates. The fickle love at the sight of a perfect stranger.
I have also known heartbreak. The profound, painful, heart-ripped-out-of-your-chest type heartbreak. The heartbreak where you don’t want to face the world for weeks or months because yours has shattered before your eyes.
What I’ve come to learn is that the two will almost always come hand in hand. Heartbreak is the risk you take for loving someone so deeply and purely. Ultimately it’s worth the risk – it’s so much better to have experienced love than not at all, as the saying goes.
I hope you find solace and inspiration in these thought-provoking quotes and lyrics.
- “Love is not just looking at each other, it’s looking in the same direction.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
2. “All love is important in the world.” – Anonymous
3. “Ancient lovers believed a kiss would literally unite their souls, because the spirit was said to be carried in one’s breath.” – Eve Glicksman
4. All I really, really want our love to do is to bring out the best in me and in you too.” – Joni Mitchell
5. “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” – Dr. Seuss
6. “A true soulmate is a mirror, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
7. “Only once in your life, I truly believe, you find someone who can completely turn your world around.” – Bob Marley
8. “Although we’ve come to the end of the road, still I can’t let you go, it’s unnatural, you belong to me, I belong to you.” – Boyz II Men
9. “We accept the love we think we deserve.” – Stephen Chbosky
10. “I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride. I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you, so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep your eyes close.” – Pablo Neruda
Artwork by Jessilyn Park, Saatchi Art, René Magritte, Leonid Afremov, Hiroko Sakai.
Like and share to spread the love!